View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
kmangel

I think the best thing you can do is learn as much as you can about addiction and co-dependancy. My son is a recovering addict, recently relapsed, and in a relationship with a girl who does not know his history. He said he was revealing the truth about himself to her this weekend. I hope he did and I hope if they continue their relationship, she will protect herself. My husband and I have been taken advantage of for years and are only now fully coming to realize all we've done to contribute to his addiction by enabling him. We think we can make a difference in our addict's life, but the truth is the addict must do the work to recover--we can't do it for them by fixing all the many messes they get themselves into. Figure out what your boundaries should be as a person in a relationship with an addict and then firmly stand by them. My husband and I have been dealing with our son's initial experimentation with drugs, abuse and then addiction for nearly 15 years and are only now coming to terms with our role in helping him not face the consequences of the path he chose to follow. We are now beginning a new journey of letting him go and letting God deal with him.