Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
normally, beer and wine do not appeal to me - but the past 2 times i have been around these g*ddamn pomegranate martinis, I have had a craving.
See the problem? There is no separation there. Did you have a 'craving', or was it that slimy parasite inside you, aka the Beast?

i went to a friend's house for a movie night, and there was a bottle of this stuff out that i've always wanted to try. the thought actually crossed my mind "you could have ONE SIP just to try it".
Notice that the AV used the pronoun "you" here. The Beast was talking to you, which is significant. Although the Beast tried to pull a fast one, it was nevertheless on the defensive, pleading and begging, rather than disguising itself as you. If it were really you thinking that, wouldn't you have instead thought "I could have ONE SIP..."? (Of course, if the AV did use "I", you would use Addiction Diction to change the pronouns around to "IT")

i didn't do it, but i've been feeling unsettled about the whole thing and just felt like sharing. admittedly, in neither situation, did i identify the addictive voice. i was at one with these thoughts, which is why i suspect they are still bothering me.
There is no need to be bothered by those thoughts. They already passed. You just need to add the experience to your knowledge base, and stay in your right mind the next time, objectifying the AV if it pipes up. The AV is persistent, but it ultimately has only so many variations on a theme that it can resort to, which puts the odds in your favor long term. As always, set your confidence level for lifetime abstinence arbitrarily at 100% — all self-doubt is Addictive Voice.