View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Wonderland View Post
Imbalances of serotonin, dopamine, GABA, and other problems with neurotransmitters, lead to anxiety, hyperactivity, and depression.
So does drinking alcohol.

When did I suggest that alcohol was the correct treatment for this? People, like myself, have used excessive alcohol, to try and patch these chemical imbalances, but it doesn't work like that.
You may not have suggested that alcohol is a correct treatment, but you are suggesting that it is a treatment nonetheless. Of course, it is not, as you seem to have figured out.

To say that because someone has a misfiring with their neurotransmitter, causing an issue, like anxiety, that could make them more susceptible to the reward-center stimulation of the brain that alcohol initially provides. This in no way implies that someone is subpar.
It certainly suggests that alcohol is treatment for this misfiring of neurotransmitters, no?

Anyway, the key line, the dead AV give-away from your post, was this:

If the original chemical imbalances to be corrected, then perhaps people, like myself, wouldn't derive such enormous pleasure from drinking.
The above seems to suggests that if the chemical imbalances are corrected, then people like you would be able to drink normally, without the enormous pleasure. In the logic of AVRT, the absence of a plan never to drink, is a plan, now, to drink. So, once again:

1. If you aren't going to drink again, what does it matter if you derive enormous pleasure from drinking or not?

2. Do you intend to keep drinking (presumably without the enormous pleasure) if you do ever figure out how to correct any chemical imbalances?

3. If the answer to #2 is "yes," wouldn't that negate the positive effects derived from any legitimate medicine?