View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

What an AWESOME job you are doing!!!!!!!

I would have done the same thing and like lillamy I wanted to slap the 'old bat.'!!!!!!!!

Hopefully D6 will talk about this in T tomorrow since she likes her Therapist. It is good that she is learning now how NOT to 'STUFF' her feelings. It took this ACOA a long time into adult hood how not to 'stuff' and how to release those 'feelings' in a healthy way and not LASH OUT in anger at the first person who crossed me.

It wasn't until I way way into adulthood and recovery from alcoholism and codieism that I realized during talks with my sister just how dysfunctional our family was. As kids we thought it was normal. Grew up in 'upper' middle class family in 'upper' middle class neighborhood, and both with my sister and I (we are 10 years apart in age) and the kids we hung out with, we thought our family was pretty good when we saw what went on in their homes. Yep the whole dang neighborhood was dysfunctional.

My father was 'the alcoholic'. My mother was the 'valium' addict and the codie/boss/controller, etc. My mother had a great Big Wooden Spoon, and when I or my sister least expected it, she would hit us in the middle of the back between the shoulder blades, with the rounded part of the spoon. Man did that hurt, and it never left a bruise. Didn't find out until many years later, that my grandmother did that to her and my uncle when they were growing up. One of the 'wedding' gifts she gave both my sister and I was our 'first' soup stirring spoon ................................. yep a big wooden spoon. Guess she thought the 'tradition' would continue. Found out later my sister did the same thing with her 'spoon' that I did with mine, threw it in the garbage.

I share the above, to say this ................................... you are helping your daughters to NOT suffer the way all of us did, IN SILENCE. They will be much healthier adults than I or many of us on here were. GOOD FOR YOU.

Your own growth is showing by how you handled and are handling this!!!!!!! WTBH you are making my heart smile!!!!!!!!

On a side note, I am glad to hear that at least in some schools they still give Valentines to their classmates (that was one of my favorites things in grade school). Out here they don't do it at all, but my grandkids have got their valentines that they want to give to their closest friends. And gramma, tee hee, has a small gift for each with a card, that will be placed on each of their beds while they are at school, lol

And no candy, however, they will have 'movie night' once their homework is done, and they don't know it yet, but their daddy is going to make his home made caramel popcorn that they all love so much. rofl and they have no idea. So it will be a 'good' memory for them.

Great job WTBH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,