View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by RDBplus3 View Post
In these few days since my commitment and Big Plan, I am having a struggle to Stay the Course, not because 'I' still want to drink, but because my Addictive Flesh Nature / Beast is screaming.
Of course the Beast is screaming. You have effectively threatened it with death, and like a cornered rat, it is lashing out.

The course identified the Addictive Voice, and said the Beast would also make noise, produce images, etc...but that Beast also produces EMOTIONS, which seem overwhelming these first few days.
Yes, the Beast can indeed generate emotions, and the AV encompasses feelings as well as thoughts. You will feel the Beast struggling, but you have to be willing to show it no mercy, and to let it suffer. Rest assured that the Beast is damn near dead at this point, and is just gasping for air. Remember, you are choosing short-term, temporary discomfort in order to gain your freedom in the long term. Early on, when that slimy, degenerate thing was kicking and screaming, I just remembered all the horror it put me through, and I tried to think of it as payback.

That is why I continually keep re-focusing on the True Me, 'I' as being separate from the Beast Nature I have.
This is good.

I have re-read my 4 page Commitment Letter a number of times, to keep in focus that ‘I’ really have decided to simply never drink again, no matter what, and never change my mind about it.
Careful with self-doubt about successfully abstaining, which is Addictive Voice, since it clearly suggests future drinking. If you are reading the letter in order to build up your confidence, hoping that it will grow by reading it, that is the AV faking you out. Set your confidence level for lifetime abstinence arbitrarily at 100% and recognize any self-doubt as the AV. Remember, the Beast is afraid of abstinence, but you have nothing to fear, and probably much to gain. Freedom from bondage, at the very least.