Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Some interesting comments in Psychology Today on SAMSHA's new guidlines.

The Meaning of Recovery Has Changed, You Just Don't Know It | Psychology Today
I can't help but notice that there is absolutely nothing in SAMSHA's working definition of addiction recovery, which took a year to formulate, about actually quitting getting drunk and/or high. They even say that there is "no set time requirement" for recovery, which effectively endorses endless procrastination on that crucial task.

Working Definition of Recovery

Recovery is a process of change whereby individuals work to improve their own health and wellness and to live a meaningful life in a community of their choice while striving to achieve their full potential....

There is no set time requirement for recovery as it is recognized that this is an individualized process whereby each person’s journey of recovery is unique and whereby each person in recovery chooses supports, ranging from clinical treatment to peer services that facilitate recovery.
I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I think this "working definition" is fundamentally lacking. How about this for a working definition of recovery?

Addiction Recovery:
Secure, permanent abstinence. No more getting drunk or high, ever.