View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
OneSpark

"Maybe I can continue to drink controllably and keep it hidden, under wraps, so that I can still get my much needed high."

That's your beast talking. Remember all thoughts about drinking and breaking your commitment are beast thoughts. You've gone three days, it's still very early for you, and I understand that the cravings can be intense. You're still getting used to being sober. I've got 25 days clean so far, but that first week is absolutely the toughest.

When you hear your beast talking to you, acknowledge that you hear him, and quickly move on. Seriously, just do ANYTHING that will occupy your mind. Rearrange the living room if you have to. For me I've found that staying busy is crucial. Sometimes I'd even drop and do push ups until I couldn't do them anymore.

You're doing good. 3 days is a solid foundation to build on. Believe me, I know what you're going through. When I had 3 days I thought it'd be impossible for me to even go a week. But one by one the days pass, and now I almost have a month sober. I still have shaky days when the beast screams at me, but I find nothing beats waking up another day sober, remembering everything you did last night and knowing you didn't give in to the addiction that is killing you.

Good luck. Stay with it.