View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Born with it or not is moot to me...anyone can stop abusing drugs or alcohol if they so desire.

I do recognize the "beast" as part of me. Just not a part that makes choices for me. I've stated in other threads that obviously our midbrain has a purpose, a necessary one. I want a good solid midbrain watching out for my survival when a car is careening toward me. But it is up to me to realize that not everything is a car careening toward me. As far as AVRT, to me it's just acknowledging that the midbrain is misguided...sorely misguided in determining what is good for me. It's purpose is to get drunk. That is not my purpose, so in this instance the I/it split makes sense and is useful.

Originally Posted by creekryder
but I feel from readings that many are assuming a position that this is something separate from their being. It isn't.
Some people absolutely see this drive to get high or drunk...additionally to steal, lie, cheat, be promiscuous, as something completely seperate from them. Who am I to tell them they are wrong. If someone believes in the devil, they could most certainly assign these behaviors to an outside drive (Satan). I don't believe that, but just because it's not my truth doesn't mean it's not theirs.