View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Creekryder
Cause no harm

TU>I understand the concept, but I feel from readings that many are assuming a position that this is something separate from their being. It isn't. The addictive behavior is something we attain by our actions, but I believe the predisposition is there, even at childhood. Now how we react to the stimulus is where our actions come to play. Here is where the acceptance of the addiction becomes important. When we admit the dependency on drugs, alcohol, sex, etc., we act upon it. If we want to alter the direction, we abstain. But we have to accept that as part of our physical or chemical composition. It is part of us. That of course does not mean we have to accept and roll over for that part to take control, but realizing it is part of ourselves gives us initiative to change behavior.
Touching again briefly on being born with the drive to drink, I think there is enough clinical evidence that genetic predisposition to alcoholism is real. I go further to believe it is a blood chemistry plays a leading role. Why are there groups of peoples that tend toward alcholism, ie. Native American or Irish? Why does alcoholism run in families? I have to lean toward the belief that we are born with that. It doesn't mean that all will become dependent upon drugs or alcohol, but the stage is set if one is not careful. Being aware that it is part of your being, IMHO, allows you to accept the "defect" and make a conscious effort to change the behavior through what means are necessary.