Old 02-05-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by IAmAbstinent View Post
Guys Ive been wondering once I feel I have the concepts down how long do you think its wise to keep coming on the forums and actively looking for new information?

In one sense Im thinking I should keep things up to scratch by doing this but in another sense Im thinking once I know RR it gives all the tools to practice myself in day to day- and indeed rather than relying on others this is encouraged.

Ie I want to put this chapter in my life behind me and focus on 'the real concerns of living' as trimpey put it or similar.

So Im wondering what the best strategy is here. Im thinking the book is always a good goto to have but practically once I know the structural model well I can just execute on the fly right?

Not Im at that point where its automatic yet just thinking what the best way to go forward is so that I can go back to spending my time on day to day life in full 'secure abstinence'.

Thoughts?

There was someone who used to reply in this thread who you remind me of - he was very enthusiastic about all of it (and seemed to be a very nice guy), but there was something about his "vigor" on AVRT which made me nervous....but i never said anything. He did end up relapsing and I have no idea what happened to him - it seemed like he was 110% AVRT and then bam, he was gone. Your posts remind me slightly of him. I have no idea what the best way to say this is, and for all I know this will be deleted, but I think the right thing to do is speak up anyhow: "Slow and steady wins the race". And, no, I guess that is not the best quote since this isn't a race - but I guess I'm just trying to convey that while I think it is nice to be excited by new concepts which stimulate us, when it comes to sobriety I think it's important not to get ahead of the game too quickly. When I was first learning about AVRT (not that I use it wholly), I was here for a few months. Now I only come back once in a while, but I was here for quite a while before I even thought about moving on. Just try and take it easy - maybe I am misreading your posts, but they come across as slightly manic and that sort of alarms me when I read them.