Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Originally Posted by seek View Post
I understand. I actually agree with you. It is just that nothing else is important to me. What can be done about that?
What can be done about that is discovering that YOU are important. That your life means something, something profound, that is unique and separate from any other person's life, including your grandson's. It's finding that spark that lives in you, and you alone, that makes you want to grab life with both hands and live it to the fullest.

How you do that is a very individual process. Some find their way through Alanon, some through their faith, some through therapy or counseling. For me personally, I was extremely blessed to have found a very wise therapist with decades of experience in codependence and addiction. I don't think it was a coincidence that she happened to be the only counselor on my EAP Plan that was available at the time. When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

I cannot tell you how to find your way, but I do know that depending on someone else for happiness is a recipe for disaster. One of my favorite quotes on this comes from "The Road Less Traveled."
allowing yourself to be dependent on another person is the worst possible thing you can do to yourself. You would be better off being dependent on herion. As long as you have a supply of it, heroin will never let you down; if it's there, it will always make you happy. But if you expect another person to make you happy, you'll be endlessly disappointed.
My therapist once told me I needed to find a new project (something besides trying to get my AH sober). Maybe it's time you found a new project.

L