Thread: Built up anger
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Hollywood79 View Post
I don't even know where to begin. My AHR asked me to become a member of this forum to help me along with his recovery process, especially if I had any questions, so I decided to because of my anger and frustrations at this process of his recovery. He was on norcos for pain which began two years ago. He had back surgery and unfortunately we didn't have any doctors that wanted to help him with a weaning process so he chose to go to a rapid detox facility two weeks ago. Everything went well, well that's what the doctor said, and we got back home from a week away recovering from being under anesthesia for 8 hours. I expected him to be on a roller coaster emotionally/mentally so he's had a couple good days and then all of the sudden it's two steps back. His body is fighting him for pills, he's seeing the walls move, lights waving, his blood pressure is through the roof, and his anxiety is getting to the best of him, needless to say he has anxiety disorder already. He can't sleep! I'm frustrated and angry because through our entire relationship we've hit road blocks after road blocks, with his health and pain. I'm angry at our healthcare system, how the doctors just gave up on him and didn't even want to try to find the underlying issues to his pain, but instead just thought he wanted more pain meds for addiction.
I don't know what more to expect from this recovery process. He called his doctor yesterday and his doctor told him it was normal for vicodin to make him lose his vision in one eye and it was normal for him to have hallucinations, and it was normal for him to have leg cramps (all throught this withdrawal process)!! When is this going to end!! I've tried convincing him to go to an addictionologist/therapist and he's faught me saying he can't, he's not ready, his anxiety will only get worse. I try to tell him they'll have some answers to help him cope, but he says he doesn't have any more faith in doctors. What do I do!! I cry, I want to scream, I want to run away, but I can't!! I need advice... help!
Hey....take it easy. Breathe. You're going to be OK. You've come to the right place.

What you have to appreciate is you can't make your husband do something he doesn't want to do. You can't force solutions on people. It doesn't matter if you're right and he's wrong. The only person you're responsible for you is you, and I can guarantee you if you keeping trying to force him to do something he doesn't want to do, you will drive yourself nuts.

It's not my place to give advice. I can offer general suggestions on how you can manage your own feelings during what is a very difficult time. At the top of that list is finding a Nar Anon (or Al Anon) meeting nearby. Knowledge is power. Read the posts here, especially the sticky notes up at the top.

Be kind to yourself today. Take care of yourself today. You're going to be OK. Take advantage of what the board has to offer. You'll be glad you did.

Best,
ZoSo