Thread: Step One
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bluebelle

Step 1

We admitted we were powerless over the effects of our childhood, and that our lives had become unmanageable.

This is some really good information. I checked out a ACOA site on the first step and on inner child work. I find it really helpful to realize that my reactions to events today may be due to events that occured in my childhood. It may not have to do with what is happening today.

I don't have much time to work on this stuff due to my work/school schedule. However, it is something I'd like to address a little.

I admit that I am powerless over my experiences as a child. I was only a child and did not have control over the events that happened to me. I wasn't able to walk away and avoid the rage, sadness, etc., that was around me. I learned ways of coping with the pain that helped me survive at that time. However, these coping mechanisms are sometimes not helpful to me as an adult. One of these mechanisms is for me to bury feelings like pain, anger, and sadness. As a child, I learned that feelings were wrong. As an adult, I accept that feelings are acceptable and a part of living.

My life has become unmanageable. Some of my coping mechanisms are not working. I feel tension in my head, shoulders and neck. Sometimes, I feel very distracted by the feelings of anxiety and sadness. I want to be someone who can feel emotions without feeling overwhelmed by them. I make poor judgements in terms of finances and by taking care of other people. I feel responsible for situations that are not my own (as in other people's emotions).