View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
UofI2008

Taking the leap...

Ok so I am new to the secular connections forum on SR. I have 2.5 months sober and recently decided to take a more "self-centered" approach to my recovery after having attended AA for the last 2.5 months. I find that the program just doesn't work for me nor does it really fit who I am. Just making this decision I feel like I have had a giant weight lifted off my shoulders. No more guilt and shame just hope of a sober tomorrow.

Anyways, here is a bit of my story and why I don't feel like I fit well into a mold of an "alcoholic". I prefer problem drinker. First of all I am young I am only 27 and have had what I guess some people would call a successful life up until now. I had no run ins with the law, completed college (I was an athlete as well), participated in lots of activities, did well at work, and just recently started my own business. I started drinking at like 14 and basically binged every weekend until I got to college. Once I got to college my drinking got more heavy and I would binge any chance I got so weekends, days with no practice, days with no exams or when it wasn't ABSOLUTELY necessary that I study. I would say I averaged around 4 nights a week. Like many, I planned to quit when I left college and just drink normally. Unfortunately I wasn't able to quit, but, I did manage to cut back on the number of nights I went out. I had basically been able to bring it back to where I had one 3 day binge every couple months. I couldn't for the life of me stop the bimonthly binges though.

Thats when I first came to SR and decided that I had a drinking problem. I quit for about 5 months with just SR for support I eventually relapsed though and it took me a couple binges to come back and try again. This time around I decided I would try an 18 day outpatient rehab. It was 12 step based and I tried hard at it but I REALLY REALLY just don't fit in. Try telling them a story like mine and see what they say. Lol.

Ok so I am just curious what you guys would suggest for someone like me. I have already read "Sober for Good" and I loved it. What else do you guys suggest? I am pretty sure I am going to grab Trimpey's RR books off amazon. Is their anything else? Their are a bunch of books that are recommended at the back of sober for good I will probably look at as well? I might give SMART a whirl. I really appreciate that you guys are here and can give me suggestions!

P.S. I am dead set on quitting for good.