View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pangur

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
While you are mostly correct, Pangur, there is one thing you may have overlooked. With AVRT, drinking, in and of itself, is indeed a moral issue, and an AVRT-style "moral inventory" contains the very thing that no "fearless moral inventory" ever contains: drinking. While AVRT liberates the human spirit, it strips you of any and all excuses for self-intoxication, and forces you to take a direct, moral hit for every single time you drank spite of your own better judgement. There is freedom and dignity in taking personal responsibility and solving one's own problems, however.
I'm not looking for a "get out of jail free" card, if that's what you were talking about.
Perhaps I can explain it better with a blast from the past. Early 1980's Catholic confession. Groups of us, we used to trade sins, just to keep the priests satisfied, every week we were marched down there, and God help us if we didn't have a few sins to confess. We sat there making up all sorts of BS, just to be processed. We also had the penance (yes, we were all sinners, but most of the sins were a fabrication).
I'm old enough to take responsibility for my actions, reflect on the trouble I've caused others etc. To be honest, for me to be a success story in certain treatments I have 2 choices.
1) Make stuff up.
2) Continue drinking until I'm at the point that I'm trying to avoid in the first place.

I hope that makes sense. A lot of people are sitting back thinking that I'm in denial or I'm not worthy of quitting yet. But, it's my choice to stop, now, all I've met so far is resistance, not on SR exactly, but from family and friends. I'm not at the rock-bottom yet, why should I strive to go there?