Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JayAngel

My first football Sunday intentionally sober

Hey everyone. Just feel like typing this out and posting it so I can look back one day and remember!

I was at a BBQ with some friends for NFL Championship Sunday. There was plenty of beer. At first, most of the guys couldn't believe it. One guy (who likes to press buttons) was really ribbin' me. "You're not drinking, Jay?!? Yeah, right!" He also left beer next to me, "just in case." LOL He is the brother of my closest friend at the BBQ.

After several rounds where I was asked if I wanted a beer - "No, thanks. Soda's fine!" "Sorry dude, keep forgetting" - they settled down.

After it sunk in that I wasn't drinking, they all started asking me questions. "So how long have you not been drinking?" "You have a DUI right?" "Is it hard for you?"

I found out that one of them got popped with a DUI recently, and is also thinking of quitting. The one that was joking with me stopped drinking, drank water, and left home early. He kept looking at me throughout the games like he was jealous, or trying to figure me out.

I glanced around and noticed most of them were drunk. They didn't look too good. Sweaty, clammy, intense and loud. I looked over to my close friend who still had his second beer and he grinned at me with a look on his face like, "That would of been you. Keep up the good work!"

But that wouldn't have been me. I wouldn't have stopped drinking like some of them did. Maybe they all slowed down because one of the heaviest drinkers they know was next to them sober. Maybe they can slow down.....

But I wouldn't have, I can't slow down. That's my "small" problem. I'm not addicted. But I just can't slow down...I accelerate through the alcohol and crash right into the wall of inebriation. Make a fool of myself. And wake up to make the rounds of calls.
"Sorry P. It was just a BBQ and I had to go make it something else. I'm sorry about your walls, mirrors, and whatever else I broke in a drunken stupor." "It's ok, Jay. Just chill out with the drinking." That's what I heard last Monday after making a scene at a Sunday BBQ and messing up.

Not this time. This time my friend called me in the morning and congratulated me.

Thanks for reading! Good luck and God bless!

-Jay