Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BrianHill

do you EVER recover from alcohol withdrawal / kindling?

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum actually. Last year, around April, I started feeling very 'strange' after nights of binge drinking.. and by that I mean, I would feel restless, agitated, paranoid,.. sometimes I would start walking around my block 10 times

Anyway, one Monday after a weekend of binge-ing, I went into work.. was feeling actually quite fine. Then... , around 11:00 AM... (you know where this is going), it started to hit. It first started out as just the paranoia, increased heart rate, that I had experienced before, but then... .. it increased to the extreme,.. (Fortunately, I was by myself at the time, and no one could see what was happening.) I started convulsing, had literally no control of my muscles.. it was an enormous effort even trying to move my eyes in a certain direction.., let alone the fact that I felt a stroke coming at any minute!

I somehow managed to walk to the nearest 6 train, and get to a hospital / ER. To this day, I have no idea how I managed to do this. For the next week, I went to an inpatient facility for detox. And get this: During the van ride home after being released, I had ANOTHER bad withdrawal, no alcohol involved this time, mind you! No idea how this could happen, but it did. This time wasn't as bad as the last, but still awful. Went to the ER again for it (paranoid).

Since then, I have had certain isolated incidents where I would drink even just a little too much, and undergo very scary withdrawal experiences. Presently, I've only been having one drink a week (for about 1-2 months now).. and continuing to taper down hopefully to less than that,.. but still.. about 48-72 hours after that one drink, I get paranoia, extreme blood-rush to the head, increased heart rate, etc. The scariest part of ALL of this is it comes OUT OF NOWHERE! The rest of the time I'm feeling perfectly fine, and then BOOM!, it strikes.

I guess my question for you guys that have more experience with this is will this EVER go away? From strictly a physiological perspective, will it ever be possible to have even one drink without going through these horrible withdrawal episodes?

Thanks for any help guys,

Brian