View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
wicked

I'm new here, and would greatly appreciate some advice! My situation: I've been in a relationship with a man 3 yrs. When we started dating he told me he didn't drink alcohol- not because he'd had any 'problem', but by choice.
3 years later he admits to being an addict? He held that little piece of info from you for 3 years? Please think about that v. I am a recovering alcoholic, any person I could be serious with would have to know this truth about me. It is part of who I am.
But certainly, not all there is to me.
He does not want you to enjoy a few glasses of wine a year, or else keep away.
Somehow the dance lessons you enjoy are stopped.
A special way of doing the dishes?

I must be confused, are you saying he keeps booze in the fridge but it is from 3 years ago when he decided (not that there was a problem, oh heaven forbid!) to stop drinking.
He has anxiety about you drinking without him, because it is a problem for him, not you.
If you are of age, and you do not abuse alcohol, who is he to say when or if you can drink?

Please, v., watch what he does, not what he says.
I am recovering from alcohol, been married to an alcoholic, and my father died from cirrhosis (directly related to alcohol).
I can't psychoanalyze your boyfriend, I am not licensed for that.
But I do have some insight into slowing losing myself in the haze of alcohol.

Your relationship began with a BIG lie (just as mine did) and the lies will keep coming.

Beth