View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Well, it has been maybe 5 days now and it seems like I don't notice the stuff is there now.

For me, when I read about others having done this (either intentionally or unintentionally), it initially seemed dangerous. But I think what is more dangerous to me (after my sobering up phases passes), is hiding from alcohol. We have friends over maybe once a month and always like to serve some alcohol - yet my husband ALWAYS throws out the rest (or gives it away) after our get togethers. To me, this sounds like a form of hiding...because we could just keep the damn stuff in the fridge or wherever and then serve it again next month instead of having to buy all new stuff. Secondly, from what I can recall from each and every time I relapsed in another program was this giddy "rush" I got out of *finally* walking into a liquor store, *finally* getting my hands around that cold bottle, *finally* being able to wrap my hands around it...there was an "allure" there that I need to get rid of now. I don't want that "allure" to be as built up in my head as it used to be....if my beast is going to glorify anything, it will be that "buzzed happy" feeling - but I'm not going to give power to the other stuff that I always used to make forbidden to myself (like being around bottles of alcohol). So, in reading the responses, I guess I am realizing I did this because I want to remember that it is just a bottle of booze. It can't do anything to me in my fridge or at the liquor store. Ironically, keeping it in my fridge solidifies even more that it has no magical power. It's just an inanimate bottle of booze.