View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dbh

Originally Posted by Kialua View Post
No you didn't get the childhood you deserved, neither did I , neither did most of us here. But that has to be forgiven. I know it's hard, it was the hardest thing I ever did.
I feel the same way. There are days when my inner child is still really p*ssed that I didn't have the childhood that I wanted, needed, and deserved. I look at my own children and their friends and all the opportunities they have. I'm not jealous, but I sometimes wonder who could I have been with different parents.

But over time I am learning to accept my childhood. First, because there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about it. Second, for the most part I'm happy with my life now. I love my husband and adore my children. I'd almost be scare to change anything about my life path because I'd be scared that I wouldn't end up here (if that makes sense).

My daughter has been taking dance classes since was 3 years old (she's 11 now). This is something that I always wished I could have done. I'm determined to someday sign up for an adult tap class in order to make my inner child happy. I'm almost 50 years old, but I'm dying to be in a recital!

It is true that the "Negative Nancy's" need the meetings just as much as we do. Heck, I might have come across as a Negative Nancy in some meetings! There's a saying that they read in many of the Al-Anon meeting that always makes me smile:
"The welcome we give you may not show the warmth we have in our hearts for you. After a while, you’ll discover that though you may not like all of us, you’ll love us in a very special way—the same way we already love you."
Thanks for letting me share.

db