Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Plath

Kialua and Bill, I was kind of thinking the same thing! As many faults as she had, my mom was an art major, and taught me how to paint and draw (which I do enjoy doing, if I can keep my son from sticking all my supplies in his mouth, hahah), so maybe I will just start making little pictures with my favorite quotes and sticking them around the house. I used to do stuff like that with my schizophrenic clients, and markers make such things kind of easy.

I know that my in-laws will think I'm a complete namby pamby when they see them posted around the house, but I'm going to start making myself aware of my approval seeking behavior with them, as I highly doubt that the approval will ever sincerely take place. *Insert fuming resentment face here*

Bill, I am also so sad to hear of your experiences as a child. Sometimes people's experiences that they share on here make my heart break for them, their inner child, and the child who experienced those nightmares.

But, like you, these stories also give me hope, as I can see that people who become actively involved in this program have been able to un-learn their dysfunctional behaviors, and therefore live happier, healthier lives.

Life will never be perfect at all times, but I firmly believe that if we learn how to constructively cope with our triggers and learn new ways of acting, rather than reacting, life can only become happier for us, allowing us to enjoy the happy, loving moments that we're given with more trust and less fear.