Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MentalLoop

Hey Dazed,

Three years ago I discovered a secret in fitness that has been paying me back in spades. Most people think that I run because it keeps me fit, which it does, but I run because it clears my mind, brightens my outlook, and releases enough endorphins to level my outlook on life. I know this advice is a little difficult to follow if you haven't run in the past, but maybe give it a shot:

- Just get outside and start the slowest jog you can muster (a notch above walking - and I apologize if you are a world class athlete and this comes off as condescending). Over time you will speed up - again sorry if you are a major runner.
- Don't stop after 1 mile or 5, stop when you really just can't go any further. If you have been going for more than 90mins, you probably have what you need.
- Do this when you feel the most despair, for me, I need to do it the very first thing in the morning. You may say right before bed.
- When through, just slow down your thought, take a shower, and go about whatever is next on your agenda.....

Really works miracles for me. All that was left was getting sober. Once i kicked the bottle in the last couple of months, I'd say my anxiety has basically died, I generally tend to see the glass half full, and when presented with an obstacle, I'm much better armed to deal with it. Here are a few obstacles that i sailed through in the last 50 days:

1. 93 year old grandfather with broken hip, and basically on his last legs (pun intended)
2. Loss of heat in the dead of winter
3. Lost wallet and phone
4. Broken iPad

Here are a few gifts:

1. Sober
2. See # 1
3. Family upgrade on flight home from San Diego, when there was no reason to get it but a smile on our face
4. Excellent Board meeting, with no anxiousness
5. Son made it to local Olympic swim finals

Most of what i shared about my highlights and challenges are no great shakes. Hell even mundane. My point is that FOR ME, my running and my sobriety have made even the most mundane of things a high note in my life.