View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nevernotbroken

first post - starting a journey

This is my first time being part of a group like this so I'm not sure where to start. I've touched on my mother's alcoholism in individual therapy, but I am at a point in my life where I really have to face how it has affected me. I started reading about the characteristics of ACOA and it's pretty scary how much of it I can relate to.

My mother grew up with an alcoholic father who sought recovery and has been sober for over 30 years now. I grew up thinking that drinking to get drunk is just what "normal" parents do, so as a kid I thought that a lot of my friends' parents were "weird." I have struggled with dependence on and off since the age of 17. Due to health reasons I have not had a drink in 6 months. I really wish she would follow in my footsteps, but she doesn't see a problem and she can't give up the wine for even 1 night.

I recently had to move back in with my parents temporarily. I am almost 30 so this is not an ideal situation. It was hard enough watching my mother drink excessively a few times a year on holidays or family trips, but now I see it night after night. It is getting very difficult for me to be around.

Well, I think that's enough for now. I'm looking forward to starting this journey and learning from everyone on the forum. Thanks for listening!