View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cocteau

Has anyone attended AVRT: The Class?

Hi,

I've read the Rational Recovery books (Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Addiction, The Art of AVRT, and the Small Book) and also have watched the AVRT Live videos. I entirely agree with his ideas and methods, but whenever I make a Big Plan, I end up breaking it. The longest I've lasted has been 3-4 months.

I'm considering attending the live class to see if it would help, though it would be a financial burden with the cost of the class, flying in from across the country, the hotel room, and time off work. And he also requests that the entire family attend but that's not really practical for my wife and young daughter.

Has anyone else attended the live class? What was your experience like? Do you think it added anything beyond the books and videos?

My one fear is Jack's recent rants on politics and other unrelated topics; though I have a lot of respect for his work, he seems to have gone a little crazy lately. If you've read The Art of AVRT, you probably know what I mean. I don't know if his new attitudes will hurt the class. In his older books and videos, he seemed like a nice and compassionate guy, but lately he seems to be angry, grumpy, and intolerant.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I've looked into AA, but I really don't think it would work for me, especially after being exposed to Rational Recovery. If you have any other methods of recovery you would suggest, please let me know