View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Plath

Thanks, Kialua.

I can totally identify with explaining the same thing over and over, trying to either get people to change their minds, or something I've noticed a lot--people tend to drift off when I'm talking sometimes (I expect people to just kind of jump in, and for a conversation to go like a game of badminton, but some people sort of "take turns", and if they don't jump in, I just keep talking), and I will keep repeating what I'm saying, even though they've clearly lost interest.

I was talking to my husband about this the other day, and I told him that he should let me know when he's starting to zone out if I'm going on for too long.
He then told me that it's up to me to figure out that someone isn't interested in what I'm saying, and to move on to something else.

I started to debate that idea, and then I was like "oh, yeah...maybe he has a point there". My first thought was that it's not my job to read minds, and that if I'm boring someone or going on for too long, they should say something (if they're close enough to me to do that)...
But then I realized, non ACoA people probably naturally pick up on these signs and move on to something else, rather than repeating themselves over and over again, hahah.

Today, my husband is insistent that he drive 30 miles in a snowstorm (in the Pacific Northwest, snow is kind of insane because it doesn't happen very often and no one knows how to drive in the stuff) to visit family from out of town, and I am feeling fearful. Bad road conditions, or being a passenger in a car are also triggers for me (control again, eh?).
I started out trying to be subtle about not wanting him to go, and as the day has progressed, I am feeling more and more powerless and becoming more insistent.
It seems like such a reasonable fear, but then...I don't really know what reasonable fear is, right?