Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

But I don't know how to handle the after part, when he is done with rehab how do you know how an addict is handling things?
When I got out of rehab, my "family" (mom and dad) were living 85 miles from me. I had no significant other as I had left my abusive EXAH for my own sanity, safety, and recovery.

I was starting over in a brand new town unfamiliar to me other than what I had learned of it in rehab.

My circle of "support" was firmly established in the rooms of recovery, as it should have been.

There are so many things I am grateful for during that period, including my parents not enabling me or trying to become involved with my recovery, which was/is mine and mine alone to own.

I have a sponsor, I work the steps, I attend meetings, I sponsor others. Actions speak louder than words.

I have demonstrated over the years that I am a productive member of society, and I do the things that responsible people do outside the rooms of recovery.

I practice the principles of recovery in all areas of my life.

I also have a 33-year-old daughter in active addiction, and how she handles things is her own business. What she does/doesn't do has zero bearing on how I live my life because my own recovery comes first.

She's got her own journey in this life. I'm no longer enmeshed in her journey.

Does that help at all?