View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MsGrace

need communication advice

I'm now in the negotiation stage of my divorce. I have a lawyer and a counselor to navigate. Our case is simple, but he will be liable for some support. For the record, he desperately just wants to walk away, without any responsibility for anything at all. He is very actively drinking.

This week, I've learned he's fired his attorney (he sent me an email saying he "could no longer afford him".) From another friend I learned he just totaled his car, and replaced it with...a brand new one! He's so confused and crazy. He's calling my FRIENDS...asking them to "mediate" (translation: get me to agree to his point of view and just let him walk away) His version of any kind of reality is so very distorted.

This next week my attorney will attempt to talk with him directly to negotiate...or let him know what is going to happen/and what is next. I'm looking for suggestions of how to have this conversation. What is the best way to approach, or communicate with this seriously impacted brain? What are the do's and dont's? Any specific advice on how to best navigate a simple conversation would be much appreciated. Most lawyers have not spent the amount of time understanding this disease and its many pitfalls when some kind of common sense is being called forth.

Your ideas would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance.