Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Plath

Hi there,

I'm glad you posted on here, it's good to reach out and actually find a hand or two to grab onto. I'm new to ACA also, and I've been really appreciative of this site since I started using it a few days ago.

I am not a doctor, or an expert, but I can share my personal experience with you, and hope that it might be helpful.

I did work at a detox center for about a year, and my step-dad is a late stage alcoholic who has had to be hospitalized numerous times for various reasons, but delirium tremens have always been present when he has a stay at a hospital.

When I worked at the detox center, people who were suffering from DTs were usually in that state (on average) for about five days. Some more, some less, but they were always very agitated, sometimes disoriented (especially because treating DTs requires a lot of medication, like Librium), and often very unsteady when they tried to walk (they often required assistance, due to the withdrawal symptoms as well as the heavy doses of medication).
Also, delirium tremens by nature can cause extreme confusion for the people experiencing them.
I know from seeing many family members and patients have to take pain medications and anti-seizure medications that the medications can increase the state of agitation, nervousness, and confusion that people who are going through DTs are already experiencing, but the medication is necessary, as DTs can be very scary if not treated medically.

My grandma had to take pain medications heavily for a while, and they made her uncharacteristically irritable and agitated. I don't know what medications they're giving your mom, but they could be exacerbating the nature of withdrawals to make people agitated and irritable.

I can't tell you how long your mom will feel the way that she is feeling, but I hope for the best for you and your family, and I hope that you will find others who have been through similar experiences to help you get through this, and possibly understand it more thoroughly.

I hope that sharing my experience is helpful to you on some small level.