View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NewBeginning010

Originally Posted by Bool View Post
Hi everyone.

I'd appreciate anyone's comments or thoughts as to what type of drinker I fall under (social drinker/binge drinker/alcoholic/fully dependant) etc.

Sun-Mon- no desire to drink, never drink on these days
Fri-Sat- will drink up to 8 beer per evening

I will typically drink up to 8 beer per evening, starting usually around 10 or 11pm and go until around 3 or 4am.

Will typically wake up fine, but only after having slept for 8-10 hours. It eats into my Saturdays and Sundays but a hangover is rare.

Will never drink if there is an obligation the next day (work, social function, kids' party, etc, etc.)

Am able to drink 1 or 2 beer and stop if I know I need to stop (if I'm driving, or I'm only staying for a few hours, etc.) As long as I set my plans before drinking I have no problems at all stopping after a few drinks.

I see my drinking as "scheduled", meaning that I allocate Fri-Sat nights for it after the kids go to bed. It never, ever spills outside of this time, so I really do believe I'm in control of when and where I drink. Finding myself drinking randomly on a Tuesday afternoon for example, is something I've never done, nor can I see doing.

My only concerns is why do I find myself drinking this many beer on weekend nights. It is a real concern, because it led me here. After 2 months or so, I'll end up with several empty cases of beer and look at it and say wow, there seems to be a problem here.

Just wondering what any of you might determine my drinking pattern as. Is it normal, acceptable drinking, or would it be considered binge drinking/alcoholism, etc. Thanks for everyone's help.
Hi Bool,

I took a look at your first post here & I would say there could be an area of concern to look at based on this part of your first post

"getting smashed on a Friday night then spending all Saturday recovering.. and wondering what the heck I did the night before and feeling embarrassed over some of the things I have done during those one-nighters.."

I was a black out drinker, not fun. Started my drinking career on the weekends just like most of us. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. You can do just as much damage by being a binge drinker that is drinking to the point of passing out (on weekends only) as a day to day drinker.

As Dee & others have said, only you know if its causing problems in your life. Why not go 90 days without it & see how you feel? My life has gotten so much better in every way since giving this poison up. I used to crunch the numbers (how many how often, percentages etc.) & tried to justify my drinking with being highly functional, professional... blah blah blah.... I drank too much & always wanted more than one, many more ;-)

I am now very happy with the realization that I cant drink anymore. Such a relief to finally give in & live on

Take care & all of the best to you ~ NB