View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ramenjellybean

Question New to this, need support/advice...

Hi everybody....

2 years ago I met and fell in love with the most amazing guy. When we started dating he was in recovery (heroin), and had been clean for several months (I want to say 6 or 7). He was a sweet, funny, loving person. Then about 5 months into our relationship, his older brother committed suicide. It took a toll on the entire family, obviously, but especially him. He just started caring less about things, and acting differently. Now, he wasn't using, but his attitude toward life just...changed.
Fast forward to this past summer. I got pregnant. We were the happiest we've ever been. 5 months into my pregnancy, though, everything changed. Unbeknownst to me or any of his family, he started using again. In hindsight, it was pretty obvious, but none of us caught on.
Anyway, when I was 6 months pregnant, he and his mother sat me down and he admitted it to me. I was floored. I've never been in a relationship, with anyone, that does drugs. It scared me and I didn't know how to react. Either way, he and his family made a joint decision to allow him to forego treatment and just stay home for the withdrawals. It seemed like he was going to get his act together, and he promised me that he'd never do this again, because his children were more important to him. Things went okay. For a little while.
2 months later, here I am, at 8 months pregnant. Now, his family and I had been suspecting he'd been using for weeks, but things really came to a head about a week ago. I had a doctor's appointment that morning. Around 8 a.m. he woke up, and flew into the bathroom, first thing. I kind of got suspicious but I shrugged it off and decided to start getting myself ready to go. He suddenly yelled from the bathroom that I'd have to call and reschedule for later in the day. When I questioned him about it he lied to my face and told me he needed to step out to help a friend. Then he grabbed his jacket and shoes and ran out the door. I didn't hear from him for over an hour. When he came home he admitted to me that he was using again. I didn't know what to say.
A couple of days ago, he checked into rehab. While I'm happy and excited that he's going to get help (and wants to get help), I'm also scared of how long that's going to last after he gets out. He's going to miss our baby shower this weekend, and by the time he gets out, my due date will almost be here. I'm saddened by how all of this went down.....I've never dealt with this before and I need help/advice/support. I want to be there for him and be as supportive as I can. How do I deal with this?