Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
Sometimes though (at least in my case) I let my defence down slightly and enter into a should I/shouldn't I debate. Each time I end up having to use some sort of willpower because once the debate starts I cannot get out of it. Has anyone got any tips?
Try leaning into the Beast. Speak to IT directly, saying "I want you to tell me, right now, exactly why I should drink." (you can think this, of course, you don't have to actually talk)

The AV will probably reply with "because it feels good" or some other such obvious nonsense, but most often you won't even get a response, just silence.

If the AV responds with something like "you feel bad, and you don't want to feel that way, do you? drinking will make you feel good," lean into it again and reply with "I will never drink no matter how bad I feel, or for how long I feel bad." The Beast will back down if you mean it.

You can also just simply realize that you are debating with an organ, which is futile. It will never change its survival agenda, regardless of what you say. You wouldn't get into a debate with your gonads, would you?