View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

I just like being in a room where I don't have to wear the mask that I wear all day long. Those people take off their masks (facade of being strong/okay/happy) at the door too and it is just real inside that room.
I went to my local meeting last night. I understand exactly what you are saying, because that's how it is at my meeting too. The people there are real, they understand, they don't judge me. They don't criticize or tell me what to do. They share their own experience, strength and hope, and they love me unconditionally. No matter WHAT.

It was early on in Al Anon where I learned about setting boundaries. I got my voice back. I learned that I don't have to accept unacceptable behavior.

Most of all, these people understood what was going on in my house, in my world, in my family. I was frightened and ashamed to tell my parents or even my close friends. But at Al Anon meetings, I knew that others understood. Some of them had experienced almost exactly what I was going thru, and they were able to tell me what had worked for them. My situation involved some violence and abuse, so they were also able to point me towards some resources, and had patience with me while I explored my options.

I say it often - Al Anon saved my life. It's really that simple.

And SR has been a lifeline for me for many years now - a place I can go to get support, and find my balance again if needed.

I'm glad you had a good experience at your meeting. And, although I'm sorry for the circumstances, I'm glad you found us too!

Hugs
Cats