Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by oak View Post
I just ordered Rational Recovery: The New Cure. Has anyone gotten The Art of AVRT that is sold on the RR website? I'm wondering if it has new info on how to use AVRT.

I had been put off by the term 'beast', so I avoided learning more about RR. But since I kept reading about RR here, I decided to look at it more. I like the concept a lot. I am pondering what term to substitute 'beast' with. I think he means the limbic brain (mid-brain). It seems like I could use 'limbic brain' or AV as a substitute word for beast. Does anyone else use another term?

Thanks to those of you who posted about RR on this thread and in the other forums here on SR. It was what you all wrote that got me curious again about RR.
Hi Oak,

I have been an Eckhart Tolle fan for quite some time, and before I found AVRT I was fascinated (and still am) by the concept of the "pain body". To me, the imagery is very Beast-like. However, in Tolle's rendition, the "pain body" seems to be always a dense, dark part of our ego that is active in varying degrees in different people. I see the Beast as somewhat more benign, just a dumb (mute) part of ourselves that consists only of basal instincts and emotions, which need not be particularly negative.

The "pain body" in one individual is drawn to that of another individual's, or even a collective of individuals. A the collective "pain body" of multiple individuals is capable of atrocities such as hate crimes, extreme prejudice, and other societal ills.

If you are interested in the concept of the "pain body", Tolle discusses it in all of his books I have read. My favorite one is his first (I think), "A New Earth", which is an easy and inexpensive Amazon purchase. The audio version is also available free on line.

FT