Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by northend79 View Post
oh my word! I know three weeks is nothing but a flash in the pan...believe me...( when I re read my post, it doesn`t come across properly). I don`t expect to have regained trust in that short period of time.

I guess I was oblivious to the other things she thought I was doing...my question was more what to do about that...I get being upset about the drinking, and it is going to take a long to repair trust...but it seems as though
having her think the situation was worse than it actually was, makes that an even more insurmountable task in the long run....I guess I`ve seen family members in denial...but I`m not used to family members making the situation worse than it actually is? Is this common?
Family members react in all sorts of ways to our addictions, northend. Yes, I've definitely known some family members who have believed things were worse than they really were. I've also known many who remain in total denial that anything ever happened.

But, regardless of the accuracy of what our family may think, our task, when it comes to relationship repair, is still the same: we change our behavior, and we hope that, over time, we earn their trust. Once the trust is earned, then we can talk about what really happened and be believed.