Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

As you continue to stay sober, grow and change, the phrase of:

"what other people think of me is none of my business."

And yep that includes our parent(s).

It is what I and my HP think of me that matters.

I cannot change anyone else (their thinking, their opinions, their actions) but I can change ME.

My goodness, I was 50 years old and having a discussion with my folks and they BOTH finally admitted, that they still thought of me SOMETIMES like I was 16, roflmao and then had to 'check' themselves. I think ALL parents do that. I still sometimes think of my daughter as 16, lol BUT only for a moment of two, she is 40, lol

You cannot change your mum, you can change you and how you react to her words and actions.

You can put it all (the truths and her opinions) into one sentence that you repeat over and over to her:

"Mom, your opinions are your opinions and I cannot nor will I try to change them. I will continue to live my new life to the best of my ability." Then CHANGE THE SUBJECT.

If she goes back to it again, repeat above, then excuse yourself from the conversation. No need for you to continue to feel frustrated about something that you cannot change.

J M H O

Oh and btw, it usually does get better as time goes on, especially when we start interacting with loves ones as an Adult working on being a full functioning member of society.

Love and hugs,