Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
unentschieden

Impressions of "crash course in AVRT"

(failedtaper: thanks for the adding the word "nephalist" to my vocabulary. Interesting word of Greek origin.)

Observation: I used AVRT to quit smoking without knowing it, which I've read is not an uncommon occurrence. It did not occur naturally to me, though, my BF was the one who said "if you can't imagine yourself never having another cigarette ever again then you may as well not bother quitting.".

Litmus test for addiction: ive found that people who do not have a problem with drugs/alcohol can't even conceive of the panic and unease caused by imagining never again imbibing. Say that question to someone "trying to quit" and you'll get a face full of wide-eyed dismay.

Disagreement: "Hope" is a negative and pointless emotion. I despise it as much as "faith.". Couldn't "hope" also be known as the AV?

Reminded me of: "Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral mind" by Julian Jaynes. Anyone read it? If not google "bicameralism.". The first 100 pages are especially interesting with several thought experiments that clearly illustrate what "I" isn't.

I've always been very interested in trying to define "I". As it applies to my (previous) addiction I am satisfied as defining it as the part of me that knows I will never drink again.

Especially liked: "and I will never change my mind.". I bet that kicks many people's beast into high gear!

Didn't care for: the weird anti-AA vibe of the article. I see his point, and I've never been to AA but to me that part sounded like his own personal baggage rather than a detached "rational" evaluation of a different process.

Final thoughts: While my moods have been tough at times to deal with, overall I derive a lot of peace from knowing that I have decided to never drink again...and that it truly is that simple (albeit not easy)