Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Hi GoodVsEvil, and welcome to SR! I'm sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, but am very glad you found us.

I can't tell you what to do. What I can do is share my experience, strength, and hope.

I spent 5 years of my life with an active addict/alcoholic, as well as being an addict/alcoholic myself who used through that entire relationship.

I was bound and determined to stick by him no matter what.

That marriage almost killed me, in more ways than one.

It took many years into my recovery from addiction/alcoholism before I hit a bottom in my codependency, and started the journey of self-discovery, which continues today, and will be a life long quest.

I now have a 33-year-old daughter active in addictions.

The tools that have helped me discover self, and start making healthy decisions in my life are attending Alanon, working with a therapist, and reading the book "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie (have read it several times over the years).

As a recovering alcoholic/addict, I can tell you my support has had to come from others in recovery, those who understand where I have been. Family, and even well-meaning friends just aren't the kind of support that I need.

I hope you continue to post. Please feel free to ask more questions, vent, or just read here at SR. There are some very good "sticky" topics at the top of this forum to further educate yourself on addiction.

Sending you hugs of support.