Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Thrifty

I am further along in the book and am hung up on the"never-now" approach of Rational Recovery on pages 140-141. I don't get what Trimpey means by that. Specifically on pg 140, he says "With the big plan, we meet the beast on it's own turf, eternity. We reduce our understanding of time to reality as the beast understands it. Because it is always now, we may firmly make a plan for the rest of our lives based on the clear understanding, "I will never now drink". Huh? I don' get what he's trying to say.

also, on page 141... "By collapsing the big plan for endless abstinence into the never-ending now, the task is made quite feasible although there is probably no way to stave off the initial but temporary anxiety and grief over this life saving decision."

I think I get the second half of that statement.... Your beast will never be OK with the decision of you trying to kill it off, especially in the beginning and the beast will probably try to make you feel anxious and sad about the decision. But as long as you separate it from yourself, you will be fine. So, you shouldn't wait for the beast to stop bugging you all together before you make the Big Plan, it's not going to happen. I don't get "by collapsing the Big Plan for endless abstinence into the never ending now, the task is made quite feasible". Anybody have any thoughts? I appreciate it.