View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Exactly. This is how I'm struggling. I can be extremely ambitious and demand that others pull themselves up by their bootstraps, put their big girl panties on and get on with their lives (like I do! damn it!), but I think in a situation like this, that attitude is insensitive and unrealistic.
Why is it insensitive? I left my EXAH when I got out of rehab. I relocated to the town where I went through rehab. I found myself the single parent of an 8-year-old daughter, and I was temporarily staying with my rehab counselor and her RA. There was no time to sit around, to "adjust" to outside life. My counselor and her AH expected me to get out there and start getting on my feet. I will be forever grateful for that.

I had no car and hit the pavement the day after I was released from rehab, putting applications in anywhere that I could think of. Within a week I landed a full-time job as a CNA at a nursing home.

I walked to and from work every day for 3 months, and it was a long walk. Things worked out that after a month my counselor and her AH found a rental they liked better, and went with me to talk to their current landlord about me continuing to rent from him after they moved. He agreed.

There I was, a single parent, on my own, and with bills to pay. I did it, despite being clean/sober less than 60 days when I became the renter on that house.

Was early recovery hard? You bet. However I was not excused from being a responsible, productive, self-supporting member of society.

I don't buy into the crap that one should wait a year before making major decisions. That came out of treatment centers. My life post-rehab was a lot of major decisions, including everything I talked about above. I did a 180 from the life I led while actively drinking/using.

If someone truly wants recovery, there isn't a thing life can throw at them that will deter them from recovery. Believe me, I've been through it all...divorce, deaths, and having my youngest daughter run away at 15, only to be taken into custody by the state and put in foster care. Those are just a few.

Just my two cents.