Old 01-02-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Thrifty View Post
However, the beast doesn't seem to care that I got the message and I'm ingesting poison. It is indeed primitive and wants what it wants when it wants it. I was really discouraged when I still had a desire to drink after reading Easyway, but I think the missing piece for me was AVRT. Any more thoughts from people who have read both books?
I read Allen Carr's book, The Easy Way to Stop Drinking, and like you, found that it did nothing to change the Beast's agenda. Viewed through the lens of AVRT, the entire EasyWay approach is essentially wishful thinking, since a primal urge cannot be reasoned with. Since AVRT does not provide any motivation to quit, however, I do recommend Allen Carr's book, as it might help some people in that respect.

Allen Carr mentions a very rudimentary form of AVRT when he speaks of the "little monster" (and not you) who is dependent on alcohol near the end of the book, but I am not sure if he was aware of AVRT when he wrote it. That said, any serious discussion of Allen Carr's method should probably take place in a separate thread.