Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Thrifty

I am really getting so much out of this thread. I just finished part one and have learned a lot. I know it's been mentioned here before, but I am really interested in hearing from people who have read the Easyway to Stop Drinking book as well. I read it several times and it has really helped me shift my thinking about every aspect of drinking.

For example, my thinking about not drinking several years ago: My husband and I went away for a weekend trip to NYC and right before that he found my secret stash so he "forbade" me to drink for the entire weekend. I was miserable the whole time, feeling deprived, feeling like I wouldn't have any fun at the clubs, feeling jealous of all the drinkers around me, feeling like I lost my best friend forever.

Fast forward several years later and after reading Allen Carrs book: We went away for a weekend with non drinkers and I was so excited at the prospect of an alcohol free weekend, I finally felt that I got all the message, that everything we've been made to believe about alcohol has been a scam. I was elated instead of miserable. Same situation, totally different mindset.

However, the beast doesn't seem to care that I got the message and I'm ingesting poison. It is indeed primitive and wants what it wants when it wants it. I was really discouraged when I still had a desire to drink after reading Easyway, but I think the missing piece for me was AVRT. Any more thoughts from people who have read both books?