Old 12-31-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
DrivenHeart85
Always, Never & Forever

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
For example, just this week, SAMHSA published a working definition of recovery (see SAMHSA Blog » Blog Archive » SAMHSA--it does not say "recovery consists of being a member of Program A forever"; instead it defines recovery as:

A process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential.

and includes the following as guiding principles:

Recovery is person-driven: Self-determination and self-direction are the foundations for recovery as individuals define their own life goals and design their unique path(s).

Recovery occurs via many pathways: Individuals are unique with distinct needs, strengths, preferences, goals, culture, and backgrounds, including trauma experiences, that affect and determine their pathway(s) to recovery. Abstinence is the safest approach for those with substance use disorders.
I always have imaginary arguments in my head with my former sponsor and this is always the stuff I wanted to say. So many times I was told I was just like everyone else and I needed the same thing that everyone else needed. I almost passed out from frustration. In my opinion, whoever at SAMHSA put that info above together needs a giant hug, a large parade and maybe a continent renamed in their honor. LOL In fact, I'd consider having that carved into my gravestone when I die. Lots of pent up frustration from this girl. lol