View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Xena1211

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Going to meetings is fine...I love them...Been to two today...The 12 steps are the program of recovery...Plain and simple. Your odds are pretty good if you honestly and thoroughly work them and live by them....Changed my life...And I don't ever have to drink again...One day at a time. But you are right...It doesn't work for everyone...You have to be done drinking and willing to put in the effort. That was me.
Just heard the results from a study by an independent source. Of those who complete a fourth and fifth step through the program of AA, 60% are still sober 5 years or more after. Gotta do the program of AA. Meetings are great, but they are not the program and don't keep me sober. I have recently cut back a little bit on my meeting attendance, but still attend regularly. But i have a sponsor, sponsees, do service work and am on my second trip through the steps! Gotta do it.

But if you don't like it, and feel it is not right for you, by all means, don't go! Going to please others in your life is going to make you resentful and not very willing, i would guess, to do the work. Nor will you have much to contribute to the meetings or get much out of them. Just like you can't stay sober for anyone else, you can't really work the program of AA for anyone else.

Good luck, and God Bless.