View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Carly2332

Question AA...opinions/advice please?

Hello SR, I hope everyone is doing well.
So, I've not been going to AA very long, but I am already starting to resent the fact that I feel obligated to attend the meetings. Honestly, I liked it at first and the people I met were nice but I'm starting to feel like I don't want to go to the meetings anymore. I'm not saying that AA isn't helpful to some people, because I believe that it is, but I also believe that different things work for different people. I would suggest AA to anyone who has a drinking problem and wants help because it can work for some. I believe that it's a good idea to give it a try and see how it works out. I still drank while I was going to meetings, it didn't stop me. I had something else impact me enough to stop drinking. But I feel obligated and guilty for not going, even when I'm not feeling well and just don't want to leave the house. I had a medical issue recently, and the treatment had me feeling very fatigued and run-down. I text my "sponsor" to let her know I wouldn't be at the meeting and I asked her to call me when she could. That was a week ago and I've yet to hear from her. A couple times before, I've sensed subtle disaproval from her, even when I had a legit reason for not making a meeting. At this point, I feel like I'm going for other people; my parents, boyfriend, friends...not for myself. What I mean is, even though I don't feel AA is working for me, and something else entirely is what caused/helped me to change my drinking habit, I'm still going because I feel obligated to. Can anybody relate to this and/or give me some advice? It would be much appreciated!