View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

Welcome Nothinzez.
I can sympathize with both of you. Him, for an addiction that is so hard to stop unless the motivation is there -and for you, to think of packing up and leaving. I understand.
I was the drinker, yet, I was the one to leave. We were only married 10 years but he was much older and I always felt 'beneath'. Well, there were alot of reasonings and problems -not just the drinking. Although that didn't help it at all. But I drank when we met. He stuck by me although he 'suggested' I get help. I didn't need help. I was NOT an alcoholic.
We finally amicabley decided I would leave. He gave me some money and I found a house to rent. How did I do it? Packed up, dusted myself off and got in my car and drove away.
We were out west...I was lonely for my family, my eldest son and grandson and my brother and nephews. We didn't have holiday get togethers for 7 years although I did drive 1400 miles to see my family -it's not the same.
Sooo...I did it again...rented a UHaul, packed my crap and the dog and my rabbit and headed 1400 miles east. Got myself an apartment, a job, and here I am. 11 months sober today.
I quit about 5 months after I moved out. My life was becoming unmanagable and I had no choice. After 30 years of booze -it was time. Hit rehab, AA and taking one day at a time.
You have a choice...stay with him until he decides to quit -or leave. Maybe leaving will jolt his memory of why you married in the first place.
He has alot of issues to deal with drinking for so long and I can't imagine his health is great either. But at this point, and feeling the way you do, it sounds like you need to escape.
I understand how the kids feel...it may be hard on them knowing you split but maybe then situations can be dealt with and feelings felt and they most likely have their own issues formed by Dad's drinking that hasn't been dealt with.
Ultimately, like his choice to quit...the leaving is up to you!
Wishing you peace an strength.