Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
gerryP

Hi Sprman,

You mentioned that your BF has already been to rehab several times and AA and has relapsed. I'm not sure if rehab is going to do anything at all for him unless he wants to get and stay sober. As it was explained to me while I was in rehab 6 yrs ago, "Rehab is not a Spin Dry." This is not to say it's pointless to go again, but as has been already repeated, your BF has to want to be sober and do the work. As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

In my experience, there is more to fix than just stopping the drinking. Perhaps a Dr's visit is in order to assess whether he suffers from any mental health issues like depression, in which case can be treated. Often times those who abuse alcohol are using to numb themselves from their demons.

I read another post of your where you explained a loss of friendships as a result of your BF for varying reasons. I hope you can concentrate on yourself for 2012 and cultivate new friendships and maybe renew old ones, which may prove easier if you have left your BF to sort himself out if and when he decides to.

BTW, Rehabs are often busiest during the winter months because many who are "homeless" want some shelter from bad weather and meals for 30 days. Sad, but unfortunately true.

I wish YOU the best in 2012 Sperman.