Old 12-26-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sprman24

Is AA enough, or does he need rehab first

Wow, the last days, I really write alot here. But this forum is so helpful.

Now i got to one question is AA enough in the beginning.

I told my story once, here just short:
He is now 39 and since he is 19 an Alcoholic. He went to several rehabs, I think all together 3, 1 halfway house, a few dextoxes and sure AA. Relapsed lots of times.
The last detox was 2 month ago, after 7 days Detox he went to AA, around 4 times a week. But relapsed again. Before Christmas there was no rehab available and it seems hard to get a place anyways.
When he relapsed, the first night, well I kinda took it, like it says it in the AA Bigbook, don't see it as failure. Ask him to go back to AA. But he wouldn't. He kinda stayed sober for another month without AA, but he was broke, so he couldn't buy booze either.
So he when he got money, he went out again for a day, he came home drunk. I didn't like it, but oh well. The next day the same. When he called me from the bar ( and he always does when he is out, tons of times ) i told him, not to come home. He knows that my boundaries are like that, since we did it before detox. When u are drunk, u are not alound in my apartment. Have to say he doesn't have a own place. since he just got relased out of the army this year, because of his drinking. This time i also told him he is just aloud back when he goes to AA.
So he didn't come home. He wasn't even here Christmas.
Tonight, so a 7 days later, he calls me. I'm not sure if he was drinking or not. He said he stays at a hotel, and he didn't drink and just wanted me to know he is fine and that he is sorry. He knows he does wrong and if i could meet him for breakfast tomorrow.

I wonder, if we meet for breakfast, depends on if he drinks or not, what should I tell him. Yes AA for sure. BUT is that gonna be enough for him. Does it make seance to go back to Detox, would he need that after 7 days drinking, and is a rehab necessary in order for him to stay sober? I really don't know what to tell him tomorrow. I don 't want that he just quits for a while just to come back here either. He got enough money from his pension from the army now, to get a hotelroom for probably 3 month i guess.
And then how would i get him into rehab. Here where i live it seems to be so hard to get a place in a rehabcenter. Waiting periods are so long. u even have to wait for 2 till 7 days till u get a room in Detox. The whole addictionservice here in New Brunswick sucks big time.

Oh would love if somebody maybe has any advise.