Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
AVRT is not a panacea, but I have been able to use the insight from the structural model for other things, notably fear. Fear certainly has its benefits for survival, but in our modern world, is often misdirected. For example, if I were going to a job interview, I might get nervous even before it starts, which is not helpful. Once I note that it is my midbrain that is incorrectly viewing the situation as dangerous and generating fear, I can attribute such emotions to IT, not me, and thereby detach and get on with the task at hand.
Yes! This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

However, without the midbrain I'd be waving and smiling at a car careening toward me rather than jump out of the way. I just had to learn that everything is not a car careening toward me...in fact, almost nothing is. Fear drove my whole being for so long. It manifested in myriad ways...some behaviors certainly didn't look like fear but that's what was behind almost everything I did. TU is right...misguided fear will sabbotage every single time.
The beast loves fear LOL