View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Thumbs up Warm Xmas reunion

A happy post today!

Last Saturday at a local AA Xmas party, my dear long-time friend walked in the door. She and I have known each other since freshman year of high school (I am now 40). 5+ years ago, we had a falling out over her drinking that was spiraling out of control. She's now 3 months sober.

I never thought of what I would do if I ever saw her again. It just happened. She walked in, we made eye contact, and I just grabbed her and hugged her. We both cried...in the food line, no less! Someone told us to at least move out of the line before the food gets cold!

My heart is warmed today just thinking about it - all the times I wanted to reach out and something stopped me, and now being able to see the paths that unfold in front of us if we are open to them. That things happen on their own timeline for a reason, as long as we get of our own way. Today I am grateful for my own recovery journey, because I know now I can be a friend to her without becoming codependent! Timing...sometimes it is so perfect.

She is coming over to visit on Xmas, after her family activities and mine are over. I couldn't ask for a better Xmas gift this year. I've missed her.

Happy holidays, SR friends. Thank you to everyone for being a big part of my life this entire year. I am where I am today because of this place and the rooms of Al-Anon. And its a great place to be.

Cheers!
~Tuffgirl