Thread: No rock bottom
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Eight Ball

Are you still with him and happy with your life tlm56?

I reached my rock bottom earlier this year after 23yrs of living with an active alcoholic. I honestly thought that my husbands alcoholism would end up killing me (stress, anxiety) and it just didnt seem worth it to me. I still loved him but had come to believe, through SR, Al-anon and therapy, that I was important, my life was important and I deserved to live a happy and content life. Up until then, I was a wife and mother - I found ME and left! I will never live with active alcoholism again - life is too short for that! I know that I want to enjoy my future, my retirement, having trips away, being active, healthy and happy.

I have a work collegue whos husband has smoked and drank all of his life and has severe problems with his legs due to it. He has been unable to work for a few years and they are both close to retirement. She has worked hard to support them and her retirement will be filled with looking after him, doctors appointments and little else. I feel so sad for her, that due to his 'choices' her future will be what it is. Maybe she is happy with that but its not for me.